LED bulbs for exit signs are a common replacement for incandescent sign bulbs. From emergency and exit signs to marquee signs, LED sign bulbs can have different sizes and shapes.
Before you buy LED replacement bulbs for signs, you should understand some of the benefits of buying LED sign bulbs over incandescent bulbs.
- Last longer – You need to rely on any bulb you use in an emergency or exit sign. LEDs typically last longer, so you don’t have to worry about them burning out as quickly as incandescent bulbs.
- Energy efficient – Burn time for exit and emergency signs is likely pretty high. Incandescent bulbs generally use more energy than LEDs, so you might notice a difference in your electricity bill.
- Heat management – Exit and emergency signs are typically on 24/7. If you use an incandescent light bulb, that means the bulbs are also hot 24/7. LEDs use different technology to operate, so they do not get as hot as incandescent bulbs. Less heat also means less work for your HVAC.
Types of LED sign bulbs
- S14 – This is the standard size for an LED replacement bulb for a sign. The “S” stands for sign and 14 indicates the diameter of the bulb. An S14 has a 1.75” diameter. These light bulbs are commonly used for marquee signs.
There are other ways to find the exact type of sign light bulb you need.
- Color – There are several different colors of LED bulbs for signs. They can be clear, frosted, yellow, or other colors. Be sure to check the color before you purchase.
- Base – Most LED sign bulbs use a standard base, or E26. LED sign bulbs can screw into an E26 base.
- Color temperature – Light bulbs can have a blue, crisp tint or a yellow, soft tint. Warm light sources have a low color temperature (2200-3000K). Cool light sources have a high color temperature (>4000K). Most LED sign bulbs have a warm color temperature. You can read more on color temperature on our blog.
Where can I use LED sign bulbs?
- Emergency light fixtures – Sign bulbs are commonly used in emergency lights. This is a type of fixture used in commercial buildings in case of power failure. When the power goes out, the emergency light will turn on, giving people a way to find their best route of the building. Because safety is important here, you want to make sure you buy the right light bulbs and have them in stock to routinely replace.
- Exit signs – Sign bulbs can also be used in exit signs. Exit signs are essential in commercial buildings, and likely required by building code. More exit signs are using LED bulbs for energy efficiency and reduced maintenance headaches. There are several different types of exit signs, so before you buy an LED replacement bulb, make sure it will fit into your current fixture.
- Marquee signs – Marquee signs are often found at theaters, carnivals, or other entertainment venues. These signs give a unique look and feel to a venue and are often a centerpiece of the brand of the environment. LED light bulbs in marquee signs can ensure that maintenance issues around your most visible lighting are kept to a minimum.
Questions about LED sign bulbs
If you are still searching for the right product, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can send us a message or call us by clicking here. You can also use the chat in the bottom right corner of your screen. Our lighting specialists are here to help.
Regency Lighting is a national lighting distributor with seven sales and distribution centers across the U.S. Founded in 1983, we have decades of lighting experience to help you with your lighting needs.