What is an LED globe light?
An LED globe bulb is a common replacement for an incandescent globe bulb. Most of the time, an incandescent globe is used in applications where décor is important. An LED globe has the same shape but saves much more energy.
Here are some other benefits of using LED globe bulbs instead of incandescent:
1. Save money – Incandescent light bulbs are the least energy efficient. An LED globe might cost more initially, but it will last longer. You will also save on energy costs.
2. Reduced headaches – Changing out multiple light bulbs frequently can be a headache. Using an LED globe bulb instead of an incandescent globe bulb results in less maintenance and fewer headaches.
3. Color consistency – Color consistency is a big concern when light bulbs are used for décor or in situations where the lighting is meant to stand out. Switching to LED globe lights can mean more consistent color for longer when you choose quality LED products.
Types of LED globe lights
There are different types of LED globe lights for different applications. All globe lights start with a “G”. The number that follows corresponds to the size, or diameter, of the light bulb.
To simplify this, the smaller the number the smaller the light bulb. We listed the diameters for each LED globe below.
- LED G14 – 1.75” diameter
- LED G16 – 2” diameter
- LED G25 – 3.12” diameter
- LED G30 – 3.75” diameter
- LED G40 – 5” diameter
Once you know which size LED globe light bulb you need, make sure you check the base type. LED globes have two different base types: E12 or E26. An E12 is a candelabra base, and it’s smaller than an E26. An E26 is a standard light bulb base.
Because LED globes are used as an alternative for incandescent globe light bulbs, they typically have a warm color temperature. A warm color temperature means the light is more yellow or orange and falls between the range of 2700 – 3000. You can filter the color temperature in your search for an LED globe. Just click on “color temperature” on the left side of your screen.
Where can I use LED globe lights?
- Bathroom vanity – Because of their look, LED globe lights are typically used in fixtures where the light bulbs are exposed, like a bathroom vanity. An LED globe is a good option to keep in mind for multifamily buildings in commercial settings, or any bathroom in residential settings.
- Pendant – A pendant fixture hangs from the ceiling and can be used in the lobby of an office or hotel, a kitchen in multifamily buildings, above tables at a restaurant, or common areas of a university. They are also frequently used in residential settings. LED globes will easily work in pendants.
- String lights – If you have string lights where you can screw in your own bulbs, an LED globe light might be a good replacement for standard incandescent. Because the burn time is longer, the LED globe bulbs will last longer. For this application, a smaller LED globe is probably a better option. Shop for either a G14 or a G16.
Can I dim LED globe lights?
Incandescent light bulbs are commonly dimmed, so you are probably wondering if you can also dim LED globe lights. The answer is yes, but make sure you buy the right product.
You can use the filters on the left side of your screen to help with your search. Click on “dimmable” then click on “yes” to make sure the LED globe you’re looking for is compatible with dimmers.
If you’re trying to solve LED dimming problems like flickering or strobing, we offer four simple tips on our blog.
Questions about LED globe lights
If you are having trouble finding the product you’re looking for, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can click here to leave a message or call us, or you can use the chat box in the bottom right corner of your screen.
Regency Lighting has been solving lighting problems since 1983. On top of 30 years of experience, Regency has seven sales and distribution locations across the U.S.