An LED AR lamp is an LED replacement for a traditional halogen AR lamp. Typically, AR lamps are used in specialty applications like retail displays, art museums, and lobbies. Because they are a type of reflector lamp, ARs have a very directional light output.
AR stands for aluminum-facetted reflector. These halogen AR lamps operate on low voltage.
There are several benefits to using an LED AR lamp instead of a halogen AR lamp.
- Heat management – Halogens are hot, and that can have a big impact on the temperature of a space or fixture. LEDs result in less work for your air conditioning unit because there is less hot air in the room.
- Energy usage – Halogens use more energy than any other light bulb. LEDs use significantly less. That means the potential for a lower electricity bill and a quick payback.
- Reduced maintenance – Because of their application, AR lamps might be in very inconvenient places or positions to constantly change out. If you choose a product from a reputable manufacturer, an LED AR lamp should last longer. That means fewer maintenance headaches.
Types of LED AR lamps
The main difference between the LED AR lamps is the type of base on the bulb.
- LED ALR – LED ALRs are commonly used in elevators. They typically have BA15d base, also called a double contact bayonet.
- LED AR111 – LED AR111s can be used in retail and hospitality applications. They typically have a G53 base, or a screw terminal. It’s important to note in this case, the numbers do not indicate the size of the bulb.
Where can I use an LED AR lamp?
You can used LED AR lamps anywhere you would use a traditional AR lamp. That’s often in high-end residential or commercial properties, retail stores, and possibly some restaurants. You can also use them in atriums or lobbies of commercial office buildings or hotels.
LED AR lamps are great to highlight artwork or specialty pieces in galleries and museums because of their directional light output.
LED AR lamps and CRI
If you are picking out an LED AR lamp, you are probably concerned about the quality of the light and how it makes your products or artwork look. Can an LED give you the same look and feel of the halogen AR lamps?
It all depends on the manufacturer. We recommend buying from a trusted manufacturer, like the ones we sell on our site. Most LED products have a very high color realization and are available with a high CRI, or color rendering index, that keeps your colors looking as true as possible.
Can I dim LED AR lamps?
Most halogen AR lamps are dimmable, so depending on the application, you might want to dim LED AR lamps as well. But not all LED AR lamps are dimmable.
The first step is to make sure you buy a dimmable product. You can use the filters on the left side of the screen. Select the “Dimmable” category then click “Yes”. The results will show you only dimmable products.
There are other steps you can take to make sure your LED AR lamps dim properly. We discuss them in this blog.
Questions about LED AR lamps
If you need help finding the product you’re looking for, our lighting specialists are here to help. You can call us or leave us a message by clicking here. Or you can use the chat in the bottom right corner of your screen.
Regency Lighting has been a national lighting distributor since 1983, so we have decades of experience to assist in all of your lighting needs. Regency Lighting now has seven sales and distribution centers across the U.S. to make sure your lighting products arrive on time.